Fellow ASSP Delmarva Chapter Members;
I am pleased to announce that our Delmarva board members have finished final build-out of the approved USCG “MARAD small vessel for limited public use” (AKA Delmarva Chapter Ark), we’re still waiting for final approval from the EPA on our port-a-potty discharge permit and the engineer’s stamp for the hoist system/fall arrest system/trebuchet for our “cargo loading”. See if this dang insistent rain will stop our group!
As we move toward the last few months of our 2019 ASSP fiscal year, we have three key activities we have planned:
March 26th at 0800 we will be hosting a joint technical presentation with the local Eastern Shore SHRM chapter – professional human resources management organization with the jointly presented topic of “OSHA Inspection and Regulatory Compliance from the Human Resources and Occupational Safety Perspectives”. Dove Pointe Banquet Room – 1225 Mount Hermon Road Salisbury MD
April 8th and 9th with events from 0700 to 1800 each day – 2019 Delmarva Safety Association Health & Safety Conference/Expo which is being held, as in the past, at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel, 10100 Coastal Hwy, Ocean City, Maryland. We recommend this event as the April Technical meeting opportunities and as a great way to network with like-minded safety professionals. Our Delmarva ASSP members Ron Dukes (Senior Safety & Security Mgr Perdue Foods LLC Milford DE Organic Harvest Plant) and Chuck Northam (President, Safety Resources LLC) will be representing our group at a booth on the Exhibit floor. If I counted correctly there are 11 informative sessions available as well as floor exhibitors.
Registration and Events Agenda can be found at http://www.cvent.com/events/2019-delmarva-safety-association-health-safety-conference-expo/custom-17-cc140c0f01474499b432e5098b2c843d.aspx.
April 30 at 1130 – A technical hands-on and demonstration graphically showing how Personal Fall Arrest Systems actually work – AND DON’T, co-hosted by Mike Smith, president of Capital Safety Associates (recent acquired by 3M) and Stephanie Baum, the 3M Core Safety Specialist focusing on Fall Protection challenges. Session will begin with a short chapter meeting at 11:30 followed by the technical demonstration at the Perdue Foods PTI Repair Garage – 8634 East Newton Rd Bridgeville DE 19933
The truck demonstration will include:
- Weight drop to show the forces in a fall.
- Discussion of the top causes of death in the workplace and beyond, including home and recreation.
- Discussion of the required strength of an anchor point.
- Discussion of total fall distance allowed and what makes up the total fall distance.
- Discussion about what kind of forces are generated in a fall.
- Discussion of the value of a shock absorbing lanyard or SRD to absorb the forces of a fall.
- Discussion of numerous means of proper and improper tie-off, including use of SRD’s (self-retracting devices), different hook options, etc.
- Discussion of rescue methods and options including self-rescue and assisted rescue.
- Proper donning and fit of the harness along with the proper way to inspect all the equipment.
- Proper use of fall protection when accessing trailer hatch
- We are still finalizing our end of FY 2019-year technical tour for June.More info will be coming soon.
Please come and rub elbows at one or all of these sessions.
ASSP Delmarva Chapter President
Edward Hobbs Highlighted in MFRI Bulletin
Jan 29, 2019
Edward Hobbs, the Delmarva Chapter Safety Professional of the Year, was highlighted in the Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute Bulletin.